Make Metal Parts Faster & Cheaper Than Ever with Electron Beam Additive Manufacturing (EBAM) Systems or Services
3D printing has had an undeniable impact on the manufacturing world. Parts made faster, with less material waste, reduced machining time, and shorter time-to-market are just some of the benefits attainable with 3D printing (a.k.a. Direct Digital Manufacturing).
Sciaky’s Electron Beam Additive Manufacturing (EBAM) is a one-of-a-kind 3D printing technology that delivers on the key benefits mentioned above and excels at producing large-scale, high-value metal parts. It’s no secret that large-scale forgings and castings can take many, many months to complete. EBAM, on the other hand, can produce high quality, large-scale metal structures, up to 19’ in length, made of titanium, tantalum, and nickel-based alloys in a matter of days, with very little material waste.
In addition, the EBAM process can be used in any phase of the product life cycle: from rapid prototypes and production parts to repair and remanufacturing applications.
How does EBAM work?
Here’s the short version: Starting with a 3D model from a CAD program, Sciaky’s electron beam (EB) gun deposits metal (via wire feedstock), layer by layer, until the part reaches near-net shape and is ready for finish machining. Sciaky’s patented Closed-Loop Control technology provides consistent part geometry, mechanical properties, microstructure, metal chemistry and more from the first part to the last. Gross deposition rates ranging from 7 to 20 lbs. (3.18 to 9.07 kg) of metal per hour, depending upon the selected material and part features. When it comes to producing large, high quality metal parts, no other metal additive manufacturing process in the world works faster -- or is more cost-effective -- than EBAM.
Plus, with an EBAM dual wirefeed system, you can combine two different metal alloys into a single melt pool, managed with independent program control, to create “custom alloy” parts or ingots. You also have the option to change the mixture ratio of the two materials, depending upon the features of the part that you are building, to create “graded” parts or structures. Furthermore, you can alternate between different wire gauges for finer deposition features (thin wire) and gross deposition features (thick wire). These unique benefits are exclusive to the EBAM dual wirefeed process and are not available with any other metal additive manufacturing process in the market.
How Large of a Part can you Build with EBAM?
Wondering what the most effective size range for EBAM parts is? Parts and structures up to 19 ft. x 4 ft. x 4 ft. (5.79 m x 1.22 m x 1.22 m) – or round parts up to 8 ft. (2.44 m) in diameter – can be produced with Sciaky’s EBAM machines. While large-part additive manufacturing is our specialty, EBAM can also be effective for smaller-scale parts and applications, too. In general, parts starting around 8 in. ³ (203³ mm) and larger are the best candidates for the EBAM process.
The best material candidates for EBAM applications are weldable metals that are available in wire feedstock. These materials include:
- Titanium and Titanium alloys
- Inconel 718, 625
- Stainless Steels (300 series)
- 2319, 4043 Aluminum
- 4340 Steel
- 70-30 Copper Nickel
- 70-30 Nickel Copper
Benefits of Choosing EBAM for Additive Manufacturing
- Reduces Material Costs, Lead Times, and Machining Times (as much as 80%) vs. Conventional Manufacturing
- The Fastest, Most Cost-Effective Additive Manufacturing Process in the Market for Producing Large Metal Parts
- Closed-Loop Control Technology Ensures Process Repeatability and Traceability
- The Big Metal Experts: Sciaky Offers the Largest Build Envelope in the World for 3D Printed Metal Parts
- The Widest Range of Commercially Available Metal 3D Printing Systems (in terms of work envelope scalability)
- EBAM’s Exclusive Dual Wirefeed Process Allows You to Combine Two Different Metal Alloys Into a Single Melt Pool to Create “Custom Alloy” Parts or “Graded” Material Parts, as well as Switch Between Fine (Thin Wire) Deposition Features and Gross (Thick Wire) Deposition Features
- Unlike Powder Additive Manufacturing Processes, EBAM Works with Refractory Alloys and it Produces Significantly Less Material Waste – Plus, Wire Feedstock Isn’t Highly Flammable Like Some Powder Feedstocks
Best of all, Sciaky’s EBAM systems are available for purchase, or for contract service engagements. Click on one of the buttons below to learn more about these two options: